The leadership of the Manufacturing and Supply Chain Alliance of Mid-Florida, formerly Polk Manufacturing Association (PMA), is working to find ways that we can collaborate and encourage each other to effectively face and overcome the many challenges facing us. We know that manufacturing is a key contributor to the local and national economy, and we also know that we need to work together to ensure our common success. The leadership is continuing to provide an action-oriented agenda. We want to increase our membership and increase our influence.
During 2009, we joined forces with the Manufacturers Association of Florida (MAF), adding linkages at the state and national level. In 2012, we branched out to include the supply chain and logistics businesses in the area.
Our past accomplishments have included:
- Launching a consortium-based apprenticeship program, making high-quality maintenance training available to members at a reduced cost by working together with PSC Corporate College. The first Maintenance Skills classes started in March 2010.
- Continuing to add programming options with quarterly meetings, plant tours, and special interest groups.
- Expanding the membership through a focused outreach campaign within the manufacturing community, vendors and suppliers, and government and economic agencies.
- Continuing to offer high-quality technical training classes at competitive costs and convenient times and locations for members.
- Partnering with MACF, MAF, and NAM to influence public policy regarding manufacturing issues.
In 2016, we look forward to:
- Influencing legislation that supports manufacturing in our area.
- Becoming an interface catalyst for Manufacturers, Logistics, and Supply Chain Industries.
- Working with Economic Development Councils and others to bring resources to our members.
Board of Directors
President - Larry Bull, President & CEO, Rockford Procunier
Director - Joy Clancey
Vice President - Steve Wasko, General Manager, MaxPak
Secretary - Nolen Bailey, Regional Director of Retirement Plan Services, CPS Investment Advisors
Treasurer - Richard "Dick" Pellegrini, Owner, Pilgrim & Associates
Brian Herrera, President, Ferrera Tooling
Matt Ruthven, Leasing/ Development, The Ruthvens
Brian Stevens, Operations Manager, Saddle Creek Corporation
Barbie Taylor, Lakeland Electric
Edward Baranski, Director of Operations, Givaudan
Tony Martinez, Account Executive, Stahl Herndon & Associates
Howard Drake, Polk State College, Banner Center for Advanced Manufacturing
Past Presidents- Don Gray, Publix Supermarkets, Jane Gschwender, Training Supervisor, Lakeland Electric
Dan Shupsky, Director of Operations, QMI.ITW Professional Automotive Products
- Florida is home to 14,181 manufacturing establishments that employ 329,000 Floridians with an average wage of $47,500.
- Florida manufacturing jobs represent 4.8% of Florida’s employment and pay 89.4% of the national average.
- Florida manufacturers view both immediate and long-term workforce development as a critical business survival strategy.
- The manufacturing industry contributs 6% of gross state product, significantly influencing Florida’s economy.